Section 22A (5) of the Births and Deaths Act stipulates that NO funeral undertaker who has not been designated shall engage in the activities relating to the registration of deaths.
More than one person from a funeral parlour can receive a designation number. It is recommended that each person at a branch or staff members who do registrations be designated. When a staff member leaves your service, write a letter to the DG to inform them to remove the person.
Requirements for designation:
– An application form to be completed
– Certified copy of ID
– Certified CoC
– Business licence (where applicable)
– Recent valid tax registration certificate issued by SARS
– Proof of registration with an association
– SA citizen 18 years or older
– Not employed by DHA
– Have knowledge of the Act by completing written assessment conducted by DHA .
IMPORTANT: Please contact Elsabe Basilio at firstname.lastname@example.org or 082 894 4487 within the next week if you have been experiencing any problems to obtain burial orders or re a shortage of the DHA 1663 forms.